Friday, April 9, 2010

Bloomin' Faeries


Well, it is many an artist I know who have been deeply inspired by crankiness and moodiness. Just look at the works of Picasso during the Blue period. For me, I had been having a heck of week just feeling out of sorts and fairly ill-tempered. That is until yesterday morning. While I have been preparing to create my friend's bouquet, my beading for personal release has sort of gone by the wayside. It's ok, I mean I am super thrilled to make a beautiful one-of-a-kind keepsake and appreciate the challenge invloved in creating exactly what she wants, at least as close as I can. But I sort of lost my joy for the desire to create new things, just for the sake of creating them.

Well the other night in the midst of my moodiness Jim and I happened to catch a special on GBP (Georgia Public Broadcasting) about the Buddha. It was interesting to watch and listen to. I have read a little about the Buddha in the past like the assigned reading in college of Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, as well as the Tao Te Ching, and have briefed various other readings. However I couldn't have known that watching that special would effect me deeply so immediately. Yesterday morning at my most cranky and while twisting up some of same ole flowers for my clips, I was struck by some of the words I had heard on the special. I can't remember them exactly but the basic gist was that it takes so much energy to stay upset and cranky and that it is up to us to make the choice to let go of those emotions and to not let them rule our day.

It just so happened that I was also looking at a small bag of beautiful quartz crystal points that I had been gifted in Hot Springs, AR. An aha moment swept over me as I busily searched though my "made parts" bags and before I even realized it, the little lady pictured below was brought into being.

A lovely little crystal holding faery (or angel if you prefer) was sitting before me on my work mat. I loved the way she looked, the way the light caught the crystal and the beads and the smile I felt while looking at her. And so it began. A new series of pieces, different from what I have been making the past few years. A collection of sculptural pendants and brooches that I hope will foster smiles and well wishes. More are on their way.





It's amazing the power of the human mind. We are in control of channeling our energy. It is up to us wheter we allow harshness and bad feelings to rule us or whether we choose to use that energy and turn it into something good. This is not just about beads but about everything in life, at least the way I see it.



No comments:

Post a Comment