Sunday, May 30, 2010

Kiss my Asters

Some of you may remember that not too long ago I posted about some asters I had in process. These are going to be used in the wedding bouquet that I am creating. Below you can see the pile I had of all of the petal layers awaiting the centers that I had yet to create.

After we returned from our road trip, the beads I was hoping for had arrived and were waiting for me on the porch. In an evening of relaxing and decompressing from riding in the car I worked diligently on the centers you see posted below. I used a lemon yellow Czech glass bead and 26 gague copper wire. I started with a one bead center and made three passes so I ended with 6 rows per center, leaving the wires.

The next step was to attach the centers to the petals to complete this stage of the flower. I made one center per set of petals. First I bent the remaining wires on the centers so that they were behind the center or perpendicular to the rows of beads.

Next I wrapped the center's wires around the loop of the petals so that the center is now securly attached to the petals.

I turn over the flower to make sure it seems centered enough and then tighten the wires.

Next, I bring all of the wires together so they meet in as close to the center of the flower as possible.

Then holding all of the wires tightly I twist them together to create the stem base.

And viola, a whole bundle of asters ready to be used in the final bouquet.

Next step will be to finish the lillies and then onto the dogwoods, boutineer and mother's corsages.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

braced petals

The wedding is getting closer. I'm a little farther behind than I wanted to be at this point but there isn't much I can do about it except keep working steadily. These are images of the stage I most recently completed.

What you see below are a stack of my tiger lily petals and a roll of 32 gauge copper wire.

The wire is very thin and flexible. It is not overly strong but it is perfect for bracing lage petals and giving them more strength. I use a large holed needle on one end of my wire strand which makes it easier to weave through the petals beaded rows.

I choose a spot close to the middle of the petal to place the wire bracing. Then I weave the wire through the rows pulling it out a few inches and leaving a few inch tail. The next step is to weave the in the excess wire on it's corresponding side. I usually try to make the two strands meet in the center back and then twist them together and cut off the extra.

Here's a close up of my needle woven through the rows.

Thursday, May 13, 2010